Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A Good Message

In the summer of 2004 I had the privilege of serving as a missionary with Child Evangelism Fellowship. Leading backyard bible clubs for children ages 3-6th grade. It was a summer of adventure to say the least.

While leading12 students to the Lord I also ended up being covered in whipped topping, and silly string, as well as being duck taped to a wooden backyard fence for 10 minutes while children threw water balloons at me. I ‘m not sure why I let them do that, but as a word of friendly advice, if you ever find yourself in a situation where you are being asked by students to do something as ridicules as allow them to tape you to a fence you may want to consider saying, “ no”! :)

Before embarking on this adventure I went though two invigorating, yet exhausting weeks of backyard bible club boot camp. (The adventure really began there!) One of the best parts of this training was the opportunity that I was given to study the book of Nehemiah under the direction, encouragement, and insight of Bill Allison.

In those two weeks I grew to have great respect for this man, his family, and the work that they do as missionaries of encouragement, “equipping churches to make volunteers wildly successful”. Today, nearly four years later, I sill enjoy gaining encouragement and insight from Bill through his blog.

In a recent blog entry Bill shared a message that he delivered to a church on the first Sunday in May. While the message was slightly directed toward volunteers it presents the idea that if you know Jesus Christ as savior YOU are a fulltime minister no matter what your occupation. If you get some time, I encourage you to consider listening to this message. I believe you will be glad you did.

1 comment:

Mateo said...

Just wanted to say hi, and thanks for sharing your thoughts. I was thrilled to add a new page to my "Reading material" bookmarks. God bless. :D

-Matt

visitors

Post to my social network or blog