Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Blessing of a Birthday Girl

Today, I am reminded of the goodness of God and how He unites strangers as friends for our good and His glory.

An autumn chill was in the air on that mid November Sunday morning as I prepared to address the congregation of a church in a nearby community. With my notes clutched tightly in my grasp I made my way to the front of the church. Looking out into congregation I recognized many familiar faces as those who had played significant roles in my life as a child. Now, years later to the astonishment of many, I was standing before them passionately sharing my heart and my experiences with the forgotten Children of Romania.

One story after another I shared the accounts of children who have been left alone in hospitals and children’s homes; little ones, who though they are an oceans length away, hold my heart in their fragile hands.

As I concluded my remarks and the service was brought to a close many people gathered around to share their thoughts with me. As the crowd thinned, I noticed a woman standing off to the side. Her smile was radiant and I could tell that she wanted to share something important with me. With a very warm and energetic greeting she approached me. Asking if I had some time to talk she invited me to sit down. Pulling a small photo album from her purse she began to tell me how my testimony had touched her. Humbled by her kind words, I listened intently as she shared the story of how she and her husband had been called by God to step out in faith on the journey of adoption.

Opening the photo album she introduced me to their precious little girl. A tiny child from South Korea who like me, had been born with Spastic Cerebral Palsy. Our conversation lasted several minutes as I shared more of my personal story with her and answered some of her questions. Amazed and overjoyed at how God had brought us together we exchanged contact information and she promised to keep me updated on their adoption.

Over the next several months we exchanged many emails and I joined them in prayer for their daughter. Finally, in August of 2005 they traveled to bring their precious Ellie home. Today, Ellie is celebrating her ninth birthday. She is truly a light and a blessing to all those who know her. I am so thankful for the gift of her life and the opportunity that I have been given to be a part of it.

Happy Birthday Precious girl, I Love you!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Melissa what a precious testimony of God's great love for us!

Beautiful post!

Happy Birthday Eliie! Lots of love from all of us in VA!
Jill

visitors

Post to my social network or blog