Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Power of a Moment

"Some people come in and out of our lives so fast we hardly notice they're there. Some people come in and leave footprints in our hearts and we are never ever the same!"

So it was on this day three years ago, when unexpectedly I crossed paths with
Morgan Reynolds. With one simple web search, a couple intentional clicks of my mouse, and by doing nothing more than gazing upon a newly taken portrait of this beautiful, 15-month old baby girl my life was changed forever.

It was as if in that moment, I was being faced with the meaning, and the miracle of life from so many different angles all at once. By looking into those clear blue eyes I was gazing upon an innocence that was so pure there were no words to contain it.

Those gemlike blue eyes also told the heartbreaking story of this fallen world, the story of suffering. That beautiful portrait captured the breathtaking smile of a little girl who, in her 15 months of life, had already endured more suffering then most people will endure in their entire lifetime.

Her smile was contagious; her story so compelling I could not turn aside. The image of this beautiful little girl had been grafted into my memory; her name etched on my heart forever. As I unlocked the door of my heart to this beautiful, perfect stringer, on this monumental day three years ago, I also unlocked the door, and ushered myself into the frightening, unfamiliar world of
Mitochondrial disease. And I met heartache on a level that I had never know before.

Now, three years later, I can honestly say, that even in having to endure the pain of saying an earthy goodbye to sweet Morgan, this journey of love has been worth every moment, and I would take these steps 10,000 times over again.



Never underestimate the power of a moment for it is fleeting and fragile.

Earth Angels

With smiles so contagious,
And their spirits soaring free,
Though the earthly tents they dwell in
Are fading rapidly.

Each day they give reminders
Of what it means to truly live;
To hold to on to a strong sure hope,
To others freely give.

The gem of true contentment
That shines within their eyes,
Is a treasure that this is seldom seen,
In our self-centered lives.

They live in full submission,
To the purpose they’ve been called.
With a love without condition,
They sacrifice their all.

©Melissa Melvin 2008

No comments:

visitors

Post to my social network or blog