Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Plight of the Orphan

Heartbroken, helpless, and stunned I sat glued to my computer screen as the headlines of the day scrolled before my eyes. Many of the headlines in recent days have saddened me but, none more then those that speak of harm and tragedy befalling children.
These cut like a freshly sharpened knife straight to the core of being. Headlines such as: China estimates 400,000 orphaned in earthquake. I have no words for such things, only helpless heartbreak.
Yet, in the midst there is eternal hope. For God is Sovran. Not one of these children has been plucked from His hand. May each one of them come to the life giving knowledge of the unconditional love that their heavenly father has for them.
Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me. Isaiah 49:15
Plight of the Orphan
As I lie upon my bed,
My heart just breaks in two.
With thoughts of orphaned children,
Lord, their hearts cry out to you.

They’re lost and feeling lonely.
They’re broken and afraid.
Living in this cold, dark world,
With the few friends that they’ve made.

Their lives are lived in daydream.
Their hops are all but gone.
Yet, somehow they still find the strength,
To get up and press on.

In their heart of hearts they wonder,
As tears well in their eyes.
Is anybody listening
To my heartfelt pleading cries?

Does anybody love me?
Does anybody care?
Is anybody listening?
Is anybody there?

You oh Lord, are listening.
You hear all of their cries.
You count every drop that falls,
From their tear stained eyes.

You have called us as your people
Love’s message to convey.
To enter into their dark
And illuminate their way.

To embrace the broken hearted.
To bring ease unto their fears
To rejoice within their victories
To dry their hopeless tears

To live lives full of mercy,
Of compassion and of grace.
To lead them by example
To the thrown of endless praise.

May we heed your loving call oh Lord,
Your message spoken clear.
May we follow in your footsteps,
And draw these children near.

©Melissa Melvin2008

No comments:

visitors

Post to my social network or blog